Saturday, April 1, 2017

Sweet Baby Fry, rescue 176

Last night, some Idiot Owners showed up at the pet store where my friend works with their very sickly leopard gecko. They threatened to dump the sad lizard in the parking lot if the pet store employees didn't take him.

(um, yeah, don't get me started on that little manipulation....)

My friend took him and brought him to me.

Fry now is the WORST case of Metabolic Bone Disease I have ever seen in a leopard gecko.


Gaping mouth, dried out tongue, dislocated jaw, three layers of shed on his tail, a rubber skull, bent & blackened feet, a kinked spine.... Oh, and this baby is supposedly two years old.

I gave him 1 cc of saline and put him in a warm box for the night.

He did make it through the night, but this morning he looked worse than before. I felt 99.5% sure that euthanasia was the kindest thing to do. I took him to my favorite vet (who happened to be working today) for a quick check right after they opened. At first, he hesitated. Yes, Fry was bad, but there was some hope---- until he saw the jaw fracture.

There's ZERO hope for a lizard with a broken jaw and MBD. :(

I held Fry as he died. He will be buried in my flower garden.